Monday, July 30, 2007

The Simpsons Movie - Spider Pig

I went into this weekends premiere of the long awaited Simpsons Movie with mixed emotions. As someone who has watched the Simpsons for free for several years, you would think I would be hesitant to give fox $20 of my hard earned money (had to see it at the Premiere) but that wasn't my biggest concern. My concern would be how to make a movie funny for an hour and a half (basically 4 episodes without commercials) when the show has fallen off the last couple years.
Well the reason the show has fallen off is because they saved all of the good jokes for the movie. The plot fits well into the movie as it is too drawn out to be effective in an episode and if they would have done it over several "to be continued" episodes it would not have been effective. I don't want to get into too many specifics but there were some classic lines and scenes in the movie.
If I were to find a fault in the episode it was Simpsons Family heavy, almost all other characters (no Kang/Kodos and a couple others) were limited to only a couple lines or site gags (Stampy) Of course with hundreds of characters over the years its hard to focus on more than just the Nuclear Family, but some fan favorites could have had bigger parts (Ralph)
As great as the movie was, now I am anxiously awaiting the DVD release with extras, there has to be hours and hours of hysterical footage that just didn't fit in the movie.

1 comment:

Optimus Prime said...

Simpsons was a good movie. I'd say it was the second best movie of the summer, right behind---

Oh, all right, it was the best movie of the summer.