Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Finding Forever Review

I also enjoying going on upnorth trips, it allows me to sit down, virtually uninterrupted and listen to an entire album. I went up to Boston for the weekend, and the long flight to the first layover in Newport News (no I didnt see any rape stands for sale at the airport), I thought that would be the perfect oppportunity to listen to Common's Finding Forever. I considered that I should link to Commons site or Amazon or something so that you can easily buy it online. Instead let me save you the effort, its Meh, not ehh, Meh.
The beats were uninspiring, the lyrics were ok, but during my entire listen there was not one track or line that made me stop and replay or even think about it a little bit after it happened. I could go track by track and critique the album, but I don't think Common or Kanye put that much effort into it. Maybe Kanye saved all the good beats for himself.
Here are a couple quotes from Common himself, both of these make me sick to my stomach.

"Finding Forever really means to find a place in music where you can exist forever. Music can be forever if you make it from the heart, if you make it from the soul and it’s good. And I look at music like Bob Marley's or Marvin Gaye's or Stevie Wonder's or A Tribe Called Quest's, that's forever music. And I’m continuing on the quest to make forever music."

Common said that on some tracks, Kanye tried to chop the samples in a similar way to Dilla as a way of honoring him. It has also been said that Kanye West attempted to bring back a really soulful feel to the album. "It's gonna be like College Dropout and Be and Illmatic all fusioned together"

No comments: