Saturday, April 14, 2007

What's my role in all of this?


Ok, one more serious post and then I promise to change my tone. That's what this blog is supposed to be about anyway isn't it?

I just felt the need to create a post about the Imus situation. However, I plan on taking an alternative view on the subject. One could write for days on the topic and everything it means to our culture and our society.

But this blog is supposed to be about men in a certain demographic and I want to focus on that part of it. "What does an old crotchety racist's comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team have to do with you?" one may ask.
I guess that's my point. Where do I fit in this situation? Am I part of the problem or part of the solution? Am I neither? The media has correctly identified Imus' comments as being part of a greater problem in this country, namely racism and the degradation of women. Now that Imus has been sacrificed on the altar, the attention has turned to rap lyrics. Meanwhile, others (some defenders of Imus) have criticized Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson (having controversial pasts themselves) of being hypocritical in their attacks on the former radio host.
To many of the regulars on Okayplayer I'm evil, the white devil, and probably a Zionist. To some of my colleagues, I'm a delusional liberal.
How does the young adult white American male approach this? We criticize Jesse Jackson and we're akin to slaveowners. We support hip-hop and we're wannabes. I don't really feel like I even have a right to have an opinion.
I guess the simple answer is to just "do you" and try not to focus on how we really don't fit in anywhere. Imus made a classic mistake by trying to play the "some of my best friends are black" card. Nothing good could have come from that. But what cards can I play from my hand?
From what I understand, Imus allegedly has racist tendencies and probably got what he deserved. Everything else that has transpired since is just opportunists trying to further their own careers, reputations, and agendas. As far as I'm concerned, you can combine every celebrity and journalist that has launched an attack since and realize that, for the most part, they're no better than Don Imus.
I believe... No, I have to believe, that I'm better than that.
Oh and by the way, when is the American mainstream going to realize the differences between Don Imus, Snoop, Al Sharpton, Dead Prez, Uncle Luke, and Mos Def? If you're going to try to make an argument, at least try to have an ounce of knowledge about the people you criticize and what those individuals create.

No comments: